The Story Behind Capri's:
A Family Tradition since 1944
Pizza came to Greenville due to the influence
of Donaldson Air Force Base.
Julius N. “Cap” Capri of Altoona, Pennsylvania, was placed
in charge of all civilian mechanics at the
base, then called Greenville Army Air Base.
He noticed that many young men from the northern states were
seeking good Italian food in Greenville, with little success.
Mama Capri began making pizzas in her kitchen once a week
for the “Yankees” at the base. Her workload became enormous.
After World War II, “Cap” Capri remained in Greenville, and his
family opened a log cabin restaurant on Augusta Road.
Capri’s Restaurant prospered and today, both “Yankees” and
Carolinians can find an abundance of good Italian food
at any of our locations!